Chiesa di Sant’Andrea della Zirada

In 1329, four noble Venetian matrons, Francesca Corraro, Elisabetta Gradenigo, Elisabetta Soranzo and Maddalena Malipiero, obtained permission to build in this place, called cao de zirada, an oratory and a house of refuge for poor women, named after S. Andrea Apostolo. This proposal was opposed by the nuns of S. Chiara, but having overcome all obstacles in 1331, the project was soon completed. By 1346, Francesca Corraro and Elisabetta Gradenigo having died, the two surviving matrons, Elisabetta Soranzo and Maddalena Malipiero, together with other people who had joined them, embraced the rule of S. Agostino, and submitted to the patronage of the doge. They continued their charitable work of feeding the poor until 1684, when they substituted it with the obligation to receive three lay sisters without endowment. The church of S. Andrea, which some say, was built thanks to the efforts of the Bonzio family, was rebuilt at public expense in 1475 and consecrated in 1502 by the Archbishop of Corinto Giulio Brocchetta. As far as we know, the church was restored again in the 17th century. Then it was suppressed and most of the monastery was demolished. It then became a subsidiary of the parish church. The Gothic portal in Istrian stone, dated 1475, is in relief with the vocations of the apostles Peter and Andrew and “Cristo Passo” in the lunette. The interior, with a single nave with a lowered ceiling, rich in decoration and stucco work contained the organ, which had doors painted by Domenico Tintoretto, apart from works by the same painter and by some of the most famous Paris Bordone and Veronese.

no images were found

Error thrown

Call to undefined function mysql_real_escape_string()